Sunday, November 3, 2013

November 3, 2013 The November Social Club Meeting - Sandhill Cranes at Jasper -Pulaski

This one is for the birds. Sandhill cranes to be exact. These birds stop at Jasper-Pulaski Fish & Wildlife Area while migrating south every fall. I've gone down there twice to photograph the birds. It really is amazing to see up to 10,000 sandhill cranes roosting in the marsh at J-P. I posted pictures on my blog, click here to see them. Click here for more info about Jasper-Pulaski Fish & Wildlife Area. Now you might be asking yourself, why would I want to see a bunch of birds on a cold November day? I thought the same thing the first time I drove down to see them. Trust me, when the flocks of sandhill cranes start floating out of the sky by the hundreds to land in a field with thousands of other cranes, you will be amazed too. The birds roost at the viewing area overnight, in the morning they take off to feed in the farm fields surrounding J-P. They return before dusk and socialize in the fields at the viewing area. I will be heading down to Jasper -Pulaski on Sunday November 17th about 1:30pm which is 2:30pm at Jasper-Pulaski. The plan will be to arrive about 1.5 hours before sunset which is at 5:30pm. I think this gives us the best chance to see the birds while the sun sets behind the fields at the viewing area. If you plan on joining me, please contact me. We could drive down together or meet at J-P. Afterwards we can grab dinner somewhere on the way back home. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment