Wednesday, August 8, 2018

August 4, 2018 A Summer Musical Trip to Central Beach

"Sitting with your friends cause y'all reminisce 
About the days growing up and the first person you kiss
And as I think back makes me wonder how
The smell from a grill could spark up nostalgia"
 - Summertime by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince

I took the dogs to Central Beach at sunrise this morning. Oslo, Nola and I hiked from Central Beach to Mount Baldy this morning. It's going to be a hot one today, so it felt good to out here before the sun heats up the day. Earlier this week I heard Van Halen's first album blasting out of a guy's truck at a gas station. I wore that album out back in the summer of 1978. But that made me think about summer songs. So today's blog is my tribute to songs that remind me of  summer or songs that are about summer.


"Hot Fun in the Summertime
Hot Fun in the Summertime" - 
Hot Fun in the Summertime by Sly and the Family Stone

"I live my life like there's no tomorrow
And all I've got I had to steal
Least I don't need to beg or borrow
Yes, I'm living at a pace that kills
Runnin' with the devil" 
-Runnin' With The Devil by Van Halen


"We love everybody but we do as we please 
When the weather's fine
We go fishin' or go swimmin' in the sea
We're always happy
Life's for livin' yeah, that's our philosophy 
- In The Summertime by Mungo Jerry

"(Remember) walking in the sand
(Remember) walking hand-in-hand"
- Remember (Walking in the Sand) by the Shangri-Las

"Love ain't love until you feel it
Up riding high amongst the waves
I can feel like I
Have a soul that has been saved
I can see the light
Coming through the clouds in rays" 
Amongst The Waves by Pearl Jam


"She's got wonderful eyes and a risqué mouth 
And when I asked her before she said she's holding out
She's a frozen fire, she's my one desire
I don't want to hold her down
Don't want to break her crown
When she says, "let's go" 
- Let's Go by The Cars

"Well, I called my congressman and he said "whoa!"
"I'd like to help you son but you're too young to vote"
Sometimes I wonder what I'm a gonna do
But there ain't no cure for the summertime blues"
- Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochran

"Splashing through the sand bar
Talking by the campfire
It's the simple things in life, like when and where
We didn't have no internet
But man I never will forget
The way the moonlight shined upon her hair"
-All Summer Long by Kid Rock



"A double kick drum by the river in the summer
She fell in love with the drummer
Another and another
She fell in love
I miss the innocence I've known
Playing KISS covers, beautiful and stoned"
-Heavy Metal Drummer by Wilco


"I know it's up for me
If you steal my sunshine
Making sure I'm not in too deep
If you steal my sunshine
Keeping versed and on my feet
If you steal my sunshine"
Steal My Sunshine by Len

"Sandy, the aurora is rising behind us
This pier lights our carnival life forever
Oh, love me tonight and I promise I'll love you forever
Oh, I mean it, Sandy, girl
My, my, my, my, my baby
Yeah, I promise, Sandy, girl
Sha, la, la, la, la, baby"
-4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) by Bruce Springsteen

The dunes have eroded all the way to the top in many places along the shore here. It amazes me that the dunes are basically cut in half and have just disappeared into the lake. That is why I am posting so many photos...it is amazing and depressing to me. Now back to the summer music...

"That jukebox in the corner blastin' out my favorite song
The nights are getting longer, it won't be long
Won't be long till the summer comes
Now that the boys are here again"
- The Boys are Back in Town by Thin Lizzy

"But at night it's a different world
Go out and find a girl
Come-on come-on and dance all night
Despite the heat it'll be alright
And babe, don't you know it's a pity
That the days can't be like the nights
In the summer, in the city
In the summer, in the city"
-Summer in the City by The Lovin' Spoonful

"Workin' on our night moves
Trying to lose the awkward teenage blues
Workin' on out night moves
In the summertime
And oh the wonder
Felt the lightning
And we waited on the thunder
Waited on the thunder"
- Night Moves by Bob Seger


"Nobody on the road,
Nobody on the beach
I feel it in the air
The summer's out of reach
Empty lake, empty streets
The sun goes down alone
I'm driving by your house
Don't know you're not home"
- The Boys of Summer by Don Henley

"Summer loving had me a blast
Summer loving happened so fast
I met a girl crazy for me
Met a boy cute as can be
Summer days drifting away to oh oh the summer nights"
- Summer Nights by Olivia Newton-John & John Travolta

"Chewing out a rhythm on my bubble gum
The sun is out and I want some
It's not hard, not far to reach, we can hitch a ride to Rockaway Beach
Up on the roof, out on the street
Down in the playground, the hot concrete
Bus ride is too slow, they blast out the disco on the radio"
- Rockaway Beach by The Ramones

"Summer breeze, makes me feel fine, blowing through the jasmine in my mind"
- Summer Breeze by Seals & Croft

"Oh, when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Yeah, I'd always wanna be there
Those were the best days of my life"
- Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams


"Callin' out around the world
Are you ready for a brand new beat?
Summer's here and the time is right
For dancin' in the streets
They're dancin' in Chicago
Down in New Orleans
Up in New York City"
- Dancing In The Street by Martha & The Vandellas

This clump of brown dirt covered with grass and small trees broke away from the top of this dune and slid down to the bottom.

"The city is crowded my friends are away and I'm on my own
It's too hot to handle so I got to get up and go
It's a cruel, (cruel), cruel summer
Leaving me here on my own"
Cruel Summer by Bananarama

"It was a hot summer night and the beach was burning
There was fog crawling over the sand
And when I listened to your heart I hear the whole world turning
I see the shooting stars, falling through your trembling hands"
-You Took The Words Right Out of my Mouth (Hot Summer Night) by Meatloaf


"People dancing, people laughing
A man selling ice cream
Singing Italian songs
Everybody is another
Can you dig it (yes, I can) 
And I've been waiting such a long time
For Saturday"
-Saturday In The Park by Chicago

"I'm gonna soak up the sun
I'm gonna tell everyone
To lighten up, I'm gonna tell 'em that
I've got no one to blame
For every time I feel lame"
- Soak Up The Sun by Sheryl Crow

"I, I love the colorful clothes she wears
And the way the sunlight plays upon her hair
I hear the sound of a gentle word
On the wind that lifts her perfume through the air"
-Good Vibrations by The Beach Boys


"Sun is shining, the weather is sweet
Make you want to move your dancing feet"
Sun Is Shining by Bob Marley

I am not sure what happened with this picture and the horizon line...but it looks cool so I posted it.

"Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
And I say it's all right"
-Here Comes The Sun by The Beatles

"Oh when the sun beats down and burns the tar up on the roof
And your shoes get so hot you wish your tired feet were fire proof
Under the boardwalk, down by the sea, yeah
On a blanket with my baby is where I'll be"
- Under The Boardwalk by The Drifters

"I'm walking on sunshine (Wow!)
And don't it feel good
Hey, alright now
And don't it feel good, hey"
- Walking On Sunshine by Katrina & The Waves

"Check it, got it locked at the top of the Fo' Seasons
Penthouse, roof top, birds I'm feedin'
No deceivin', nuttin' up my sleeve and
No teasin', I need you to
Get up up on the dance floor
Give that man what he askin' for
'Cause I feel like bustin' loose"
- Hot in Herre by Nelly

"When I'm out walking
I strut my stuff
And I'm so strung out
I'm high as a kite
I just might stop to check you out"
-Blister in the Sun by Violent Femmes


"On an island in the sun
We'll be playing and having fun
And it makes me feel so fine
I can't control my brain"
- Island In The Sun by Weezer




"Every night she comes
To take me out to dreamland
When I'm with her, I'm the richest 
Man in the town"
- Coney Island Baby by Tom Waits

"It happened one summer, it happened one time
It happened forever, for a short time
A place for a moment, an end to dream
Forever I loved you, forever it seemed"
- Suddenly Last Summer by The Motels

"I wanna rock right now
I'm Rob Base and I came to get down
I'm not internationally known
But I'm known to rock the microphone"
- It Takes Two - Rob Base

"Leave your cares behind, these are the good times
Good times, these are the good times
Our new state of mind, these are the good times
A rumor has it that it's getting late
Time marches on, just can't wait
The clock keeps turning, why hesitate
You silly fool, you can't change your fate"
- Good Times by Chic

"The ocean breathes salty, won't you carry it in?
In your head, in your mouth, in your soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both grow old.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. I hope so."
- Ocean Breathes Salty by Modest Mouse

"We can live beside the ocean
Leave the fire behind
Swim out past the breakers
Watch the world die"
- Santa Monica by Everclear

"Well the years start coming and they don't stop coming
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb
So much to do, so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets?
You'll never know if you don't go
You'll never shine if you don't glow"
- All Star by Smashmouth

"Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again"
- Sitting on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding

"The Mid-West farmer's daughters really make you feel alright
And the Northern girls with the way they kiss
They keep their boyfriends warm at night
I wish they all could be California girls"
- California Girls by The Beach Boys


"Now gather round, I'm the new fool in town
And my sound's laid down by the Underground
I drink up all the Hennessy ya got on ya shelf
So just let me introduce myself"
- The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground

"We know the fire awaits unbelievers
All of the sinners, the same
Girl you and I will die unbelievers 
bound to the tracks of the train"
- Unbelievers by Vampire Weekend

"1989 the number another summer (get down)
Sound of the funky drummer
Music hitting your heart 'cause I know you got soul
(Brothers and sisters, hey)
Listen if you're missing y'all
Swinging while I'm singing
Giving whatcha getting
Knowing what I know
While the Black bands sweatin"
- Fight The Power by Public Enemy

"She's up all night 'til the sun
I'm up all night to get some
She's up all night for good fun
I'm up all night to get lucky"
- Get Lucky by Daft Punk

No comments:

Post a Comment