Sunday, March 25, 2012

February 20, 2012 Trakan

This is the new CD or digital download (if you prefer) from the band Trakan. Full disclosure here on my blog, Mike Trakan is a friend of mine. But those that know me know this, I am always willing to give my actual opinion of something. Sugar coating is not something I am capable of doing, even if I am mentioned in the thank yous in the liner notes. Now on to my record review of "Powder Kegs Beneath Dagger Trees".
 I saw the band tonight at their CD release party held at The Webster Wine Bar. BTW, very good food at this place. Hey, I love good music and good food. The band sounded great. A very talented group of musicians that Mike likes to call R.O.G.U.E. - Representative of Grassroots and Underground Entertainment. This collective includes anyone interested in promoting independent art of all types. Which reminds me I took these photos from www.trakan.com and they were taken by Gaczol. Since I heard several of the new songs live before hearing them on CD, I was really looking forward to checking out the new release. First thought, love the wide spectrum of sounds on Powder Kegs. The combination of Mike's raspy growl and Heather's angelic voice suit the songs on this record. As I said earlier, the musicians sound great on Powder Kegs which is impressive due to the songs ranging from story songs to guitar jams to country to contemplative love or lost love songs. As someone who listens to lyrics first then the music, I think Mike's song writing continues to be first rate. In my opinion, Trakan is battling some demons on this record. Demons that face most artists, being able to stay true to yourself while getting your message across to the masses are expressed on the song, The Bridge, "I'm on a bridge to integrity and leaving all the weeds behind, I'm getting ready to cross this time." We've all been there and the question to ask is whether you had the courage to cross. Trakan has crossed that bridge. The songs "Long Way From Home" & "Peter The Great" seem to be about the same artistic pursuit of happiness. "All I Need" is my favorite type of love song, the kind that describes what love really does to you...how one minute you'll do anything for it, the next you have to get away as quickly as possible. The song that shocked me was the country song, "Walking The Plank". I never expected it but loved it right away. Since I love records when all the songs have a different sound, this was a great choice by Trakan. When friends ask what kind of music does Trakan play, I say it is rock and roll with a singer/songwriter vibe with a punk edge. I always follow that by saying just check them out, if you love music, you will love Trakan. So check them out at www.trakan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment