Saturday, January 29, 2011

January 2, 2011 My Top Five Albums of 2010

The new year always begins with lists. So here are my favorite albums from 2010. I have loved listening to music for as far back as I can remember. My parents were music fans, actually they still are music fans so I guess I got it from them. Technically the list should be releases from 2010. But I included a 2008 release because I listened to it more than any other CD in 2010. With that said, on with the countdown.

#5. Foxy Shazam by Foxy Shazam - This is the first band since I saw Gogol Bordello that had me going "What the fuck?" one moment and loving them the next moment. Crazy lead singer, catchy as hell songs, impossible not to singalong with the songs, one of my favorite bands at Lollapalooza this year.
#4. The Suburbs by Arcade Fire - I didn't think they could top their previous CD, Neon Bible. But they did. Every song on this album continues to amaze me and I am about twice the age of most of the massive crowd that packed the north end of Grant Park to watch them at Lollapalooza. I hope the youngsters realized the songs were not touting the suburbs as a viable place to live. My anti suburb rant done much better by one of the great bands of the new century. This would have ranked higher but the next three easily make my all time favorite albums.
#3. Brothers by The Black Keys - Just like Arcade Fire, these guys met all expectations with this new release. The hit single, "Tighten Up" is one of the best broken-hearted blues songs ever released by two white guys . For fans of dirty, melodic rock n blues, this is a must have CD. The beautiful "Everlasting Light" is the closest thing to a traditional love song on the CD. The rest are love songs soaked with heavy guitars and washed through the dirty blues cycle. Feel the pain you will enjoy it.
#2. Come Around Sundown by Kings Of Leon - This band sets the standard for rock stars right now. There is no better band playing pure rock and roll right now. There is a trend here on my list because these guys became huge stars with their last CD. Nobody thought they could match it with this release. I think they did. The songs are a bit mellower but the songs are still incredible. KOL are one of the best rock 'n' roll bands out there today. If you are my age and think there are no great rock and roll bands anymore. Listen to these guys, they will not let you down.
#1. Love, Ire & Song by Frank Turner - I bought this 2008 CD release this year after seeing him open for Flogging Molly. It was easily my favorite album of the year. This is one of my all time favorite CD's because I love the lyrics to almost every song. It starts with "Let's begin at the beginning: We're lovers and we're losers." I could relate to so many of the themes in Frank's songs... friendships, getting older, loving music, living your own life, following your own path, never feeling sorry for yourself. I could quote so many lyrics here. "I won't sit down and I won't shut up and most of all I will not grow up" from Photosynthesis or "If music was the food of love then I'd be a fat romantic slob. Music is my substitute for love" from Substitute and "You're not as messed up as you think you are -your self absorption makes you messier" from Reasons Not To Be An Idiot.  If you love great songwriting played with the perfect amount of emotion, then buy this CD.
My Desk - Lansing, IL


No comments:

Post a Comment