Tuesday, December 17, 2019

December 17, 2019 A Beautiful 28 Degree Day for a Hike Around Wampum Lake

Even though it isn't officially winter yet, today was a perfect winter day for hike. It is days like this that make me glad I live in a place that has four seasons. It is obvious that Wampum Lake has at least thin layer of ice since it is snow covered. The ice on the shore held my 80 pound dog, Yeti.

Since the ground has frozen a bit too, I thought we could try hiking all the way around the lake.

Nola and Yeti were driving me crazy this morning as I tried to sleep in after seeing Wilco in concert last night. Now I'm glad to be outside on such beautiful day.

There were lots of animal tracks in the snow.

The view from the south end of the lake looking north.

Yeti heard something in the woods that Nola and I didn't.

Even though it is after 11am, the sun is still low in the sky causing long shadows. We are only 4 days away from the shortest daylight of the year. 

The east side of the lake looking west.

This side of the lake has been flooded all year long.

Yeti has no problem walking on snow covered ice.

I had to stop these two so I didn't get clothes lined by this downed tree.

The trail has been washed away so we took a new trail further away from the lake.

Eventually we had to hike across the swamped area where the ice held the dogs but not me.

The north end of Wampum Lake looking back toward the southern sun glistening on the ice.

It took a few shots but I finally got all three of our shadows.

The only color besides white, blue and brown I saw on the whole hike.

I do love the change of seasons but if this still looks like this in April...I'm gonna be screaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment