Sunday, June 24, 2018

June 24, 2018 Our Sunday Morning Hike at Central Beach with Henry David Thoreau

“An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.” 
― Henry David Thoreau
 All quotes on today's blog are from Henry David Thoreau.

"How little appreciation of the beauty of the landscape their is among us!"

“Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.”

“Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.” 

“The most I can do for my friend is simply to be his friend.”

“...for my greatest skill has been to want but little.” 

“Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of the earth.” 

"I have a room all to myself; it is Nature."


“You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.” 

“When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.” 

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature.” 

"I walk out into a nature such as the old prophets and poets Menu, Moses, Homer, Chaucer, walked in."

"Nature makes no noise. The howling storm, the rustling leaf, the pattering rain are no disturbance, there is an essential and unexplored harmony in them."

“I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours..” 

“Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify.”

“There is no remedy for love but to love more.” 


“Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence.” 

“It is never too late to give up your prejudices”

"Let men tread gently through nature."

“What is the use of a house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

"I love nature, I love the landscape, because it is so sincere. It never cheats me. It never jests. It is cheerfully, musically earnest."

“A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.”

"How much of beauty—of color, as well as form—on which our eyes daily rest goes unperceived by us!"

“Wildness is the preservation of the World.” 

“Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” 


“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” 

"It is far more independent to travel on foot."

“Take long walks in stormy weather or through deep snows in the fields and woods, if you would keep your spirits up. Deal with brute nature. Be cold and hungry and weary.” 

“The universe is wider than our views of it.” 

“Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment