Sunday, April 22, 2018

April 22, 2018 Our Earth Day Trip to Chicago


We decided to take the dogs to the city with us this morning. Chrissy wanted to go to the Peterson Garden Project's Organic Edible Plant Sale in Uptown. So we stopped at Lincoln Park to walk the dogs. 

The view of the city from the Lincoln Park Lagoon.

A girl and her dog walking by the barn area at the Lincoln Park Zoo. Of course I started singing "Moo moo I love you, I know you're a cow but anything will do"...fans of the Jonathan Brandmeier  show on the old Loop radio station will know what I am singing. Chrissy just walked faster to get away from me.

We saw this group in the parking lot and we ran into them in the south end of Lincoln Park. It was a huge group of Bernese Mountain Dogs and their owners. There was at least fifty of these huge dogs having a blast playing in the park.

We hung out here because it was so cool to see so many of these dogs run up to Oslo and Nola. A rare instance when Oslo wasn't easily the biggest dog in the park.

The history geek in me seems to always find things like this marker. It is the shore line of Lake Michigan from 8,000 years ago. It is about a half mile from the current shoreline.

Looking north from the south end of the lagoon.

Finally some spring colors.

Chrissy & Oslo on the nature boardwalk.

We had warmer temps and blue skies this morning.

This is a statue of Ulysses Grant in Lincoln Park and there is a statue of  Abraham Lincoln in Grant Park...this city can't seem to do anything right.
Looking south from the north side of the lagoon.


These two were sniffing everything. This is a trail that has tons of dogs on it so there was a lot to smell. A young couple had two professional photographers taking pictures of their 2 year old daughter all dressed up with them in the park. Oslo became a prop for them to get pictures of the little girl. Then he laid down and the little girl was petting him and they took a bunch of pictures. The couple thanked us for letting them get pictures with Oslo but he was happy to rest while the girl petted him.

We drove up LSD to Lawrence Avenue in the Uptown neighborhood. The Organic Edible Plant Sale was across the street from the Aragon Ballroom. So on the way from the parking lot I took a few photos of this mural. There was a volunteer at the plant sale who talked with us about Dr. Seuss and Winnie the Pooh. Now that might seem strange but I love both of them. So I got a kick out of this wonderful conversation about how they appear to be children's stories, but they actually teach adult lessons. I learned a lot about Winnie The Pooh in our 15 minute conversation. 




This mural was in the CTA underpass on Lawrence.
After spending the morning in the city, we spent the beautiful afternoon back home doing yard work.

Oslo must have gotten exhausted watching me do yard work for the past two days...this is how I found him all afternoon long. A dog's life indeed. I am exhausted and heading to bed...but I am still smiling about seeing all those dogs and talking about Winnie the Pooh with someone my age. I love going into the city.


No comments:

Post a Comment